It's been about 8 weeks since we were "asked" to Shelter in Place. The horizon for normalcy is uncertain at this time and many of us are not sure what the future will hold. "BUT" in the meantime, what can and should we be doing now? Particularly when it comes to exercise, healthy eating and positive thoughts. Well let us review some "ACTIONABLE" ideas that we can employ to help us get through this unique time in our lives
- Time oF Day: Remember the good old days. You know 8 - 10 weeks ago. when you HAD TIME and didn't realize it. Now you need to figure out what time of day is best for you to begin your exercise. I know WE ALL HAVE A LOT OF TIME. It's how we manage it that counts. Figure out if you are a morning, afternoon or evening person. In my experience if you're not a morning person. Don't commit to a morning schedule that you know you may bail on. Pick a time that works best when you have a lot of energy to be motivated.
- Days of the week: Find out what days are best to exercise 2 - 4 x a week. If your are an experienced fitness person you know what you are capable of doing to stay fit. For you its intensity. For the novice or beginner 2 x a week is best. Pick every other 1-2 days to exercise so that your body can adapt to the physical challenges you will be putting yourself under.
- Length of training: Again, if you have experience 40 - 70 min is excellent amount of time to train your body. If you're starting up your activity then 30 min is optimal. I know some of you will want to do more. But I recommend that you don't over do it. Your muscles aren't use to lactic acid build up and you may experience muscle soreness. So 30 min is a good starting point.
- Analyze your diet: We are in lock down. So Netflix, Amazon Prime, Comcast are providing movie entertainment. But your refrigerator is in the kitchen and it's so so easy to plop down and exercise our mouth muscles and our RIGHT and LEFT thumbs. If you are going to use this time to reinvigorate your fitness efforts then reviewing what your eating is a BIG first step to creating positive change. Yes. It's boring to write down what you eat. BUT, it's the only way to know for sure how much calories you are consuming in your diet. Only then can you make REAL changes to change your physique.
- Get great Sleep: Your body grows when you sleep. Not when you're exercising. So, get as much sleep as you can. The recommended number is at least 8 hours. That can be achieved if you go to bed at a reasonable time. If you're going to bed late ( 10:00 PM or later ) you will be making it very difficult to get meaningful fitness gains.
- Exercise: Easier said than done. If you are a seasoned fitness enthusiast then you have a good idea how to exercise. If Not, then beginners should follow my Easy Home workout Part 1 and then challenge themselves against me in Shelter in Place : Home workout review Part 2. You can find in the video Section of my YouTube page: https://www.youtube.com/user/Midfieldgod
The key to get through this is to KEEP GOING. Yes our access and options to go out have changed slightly but we have more FREE time in this period of our lives since we were children.
TAKE ADVANTAGE of IT.
Next Level Fitness is a small private fitness facility in Oakland, CA. It is located in the GrandLake area of Oakland. Next Level Fitness provides chiropractic, personal training and small group training services to these areas of Oakland 94610, 94611, 94602. We cater to " Every-Body " but specialize in fitness services for adults 30 (+). Please join our fitness family!