Having healthy joints is a key to maintaining an active lifestyle. When we have joint pain. We have limited range of motion and our ability to interact in our environment is reduced. Here are some great tips on how to maintain healthy and limber joints that can help you live a active lifestyle as much as possible:
- Chiropractic Adjustments: Regular assessment of your joints is beneficial in helping to helping relieve pressure on your joint surfaces. Minimizing this " friction" can decrease your susceptibility to degenerative joint disease
- Stretching: Regularly stretching your muscles helps to increase the plasticity of your muscles. Simple meaning? Your muscles are more mendable to changing to a healthy length.
- Weight Training: 2 - 4/ week of strength training using weights, ropes or your own bodyweight can dramatically increase the size and endurance of muscle
- Diet/Supplements: Moderation in food choice is always the key to weight loss. Reading the serving on the product can help you achieve this. There a a plethora of products on the market that claim to heal, cure or regress some illness using nutritional supplements. I will limit supplements to Vitamin C, E, beta carotene andB Complex. Take the recommended suggestion as indicated.
- Aerobic Activity: Walking, Running, Cycling, Rowing, Swimming or any combination on a weekly basis 2 or more times per week for 10 - 40 min
- Sleeping: This goes without saying. The rule of thumb is 8 hours. But any uninterrupted sleep that allows you to stay in deep sleep for 4 or more hours is advantageous.
There are other factors that can help you minimize joint trouble:
- Minimize standing
- Minimize sitting
- Practice proper lifting and bending techniques
- Wear comfortable shoes
As you can see there are a number of ways for us to improve our joints. Practicing some if not all of the above to the best of your ability on a weekly basis can only help you improve.
To a Fit life!
Next Level Personal Fitness Systems
A. Pigott DC