What is Thermogenesis? It's the ability of the body to generate heat. The process by which food when eaten is turned into energy for your body to use for fuel. Well how does that pertain to my body? Raising our core body temperature aids us in burning stored energy. Primarily carbohydrates and fats. Our daily energy expenditure consists of three components:
- basal metabolic rate ( non active )
- diet-induced thermogenesis ( eating food or certain food )
- and the energy cost of physical activity. ( being active )
Line items 1-3 are referring to METABOLISM: The definition of metabolism is :
- Burning foods eaten
- Converting foods to building: making cells, muscle or hormones
- Eliminating waste: sweat, other bodily daily functions
Prior to beginning our fitness program we proceed through a methodical warm-up routine that helps increase the heart rate, blood flow and metabolism of our bodies. We call it ADS or Active Dynamic Stretches which prepares our body for work ( exercise ). Thereby, increasing our metabolism.
Now we can initiate thermogenesis by consuming foods prior to exercising. This can give your body an advantage in its ability to burn fat and increase muscle growth. What are the foods and beverages that can help generate a thermogenic response prior to exercising?
Here are a few items:
BEVERAGES (Caffeine): Serving size 8 fl oz.
- Tea ( Catechins ): chemical properties in tea and coffee that aid in raising your metabolic rate )
- Green tea
Stay away from those synthetic drinks. i.e Monster, Red Bull, Venom, they sometimes contain more than the allotted nutrients that are necessary to help you function optimally. Plus they have other stuff that has no nutrient value.
- Jalapeno peppers ( capsaicin: molecule that helps increase adrenaline )
- Fatty Fish ( cold water fish) salmon, mackerel, herring, sardines ( omega 3 fatty acids )
- Eggs ( Protein plays a key role in body weight regulation through satiety related to diet-induced thermogenesis )
- Full Fat Greek yogurt ( Protein plays a key role in body weight regulation through satiety related to diet-induced thermogenesis. )
- Chili peppers (capsaicin: molecule that helps increase adrenaline )
- Whey protein ( Protein plays a key role in body weight regulation through satiety related to diet-induced thermogenesis )
- Apple Cider vinegar ( the acid in vinegar helps lower blood sugar )
- Olive oil ( low fat density, smaller change fat molecule for energy )
Having a diet that has a variety of beverages, foods and spices can help us raise our metabolism to burn stored energy more efficiently. Do your best on a daily or weekly basis to introduce these foods into your diet to insure fitness success.
If you have ?. Email or talk to me at our next session together.
Have an active time day today!
Yours in Fitness
Next Level Personal Fitness Systems